Cross Section of Test System
Specimen Testing Set Up
The warehouse is filling up fast, and it has been decided that a new storage
rack needs to be placed over an elevated portion of the warehouse. This is the
only open place remaining.
The new rack will straddle a change in floor elevation as illustrated.
One side will be made from a single 1/2" aluminum pipe and the other side
from a single 1/2" steel pipe. Two pieces of equipment will be placed on
the rack weighing 200 and 300 lb, respectively. The equipment must remain horizontal
(within 0.5 degrees from level).
The rack was constructed in the middle of winter when
the temperature was only 20o F. Before any equipment or packages are
placed on the rack, it was perfectly level. During the summer, the warehouse
can reach 125o F. The two pieces of equipment are located on the rack
as shown in the diagram.
What is known:
- The Young modulus of the aluminum and steel pipes are 10,000 ksi and 29,000
- The aluminum and steel pipes are 5 ft and 3 ft long, respectively.
- The coefficient of thermal expansion of the aluminum and steel pipes are
and 6.5×10-6/oF, respectively.
- The diameter of both pipes are 1/2" with a wall thickness of 1/16".
- Two equipment packages, 200 lb and 300 lb, are placed 5 ft and 2 ft, respectively,
from the right side.