When a new wind power generated was being constructed, the generator housing was offset 3 inches from the center line of the vertical support column. The design engineer is worried that the eccentric loading of the column will failure.
What is knows:
- Column is a hollow round pipe with outer diameter of 6 in and thickness
of 0.25 in.
- The column height, L, is 30 ft.
- The combined generator housing and blades weigh 5,000 lb.
- Neglect the self-weight of the column and the wind acting on the column.
- Assume the pipe is fixed at the base and free at the top.
- The generator and blade weight is applied 3 in off the center line of the column.
- The material is steel with a stiffness, E, of 29,000 ksi and an allowable strength of 36 ksi.
- The required factor of safety is 3.