Justin Time Clocks Inc. manufactures grandfather clocks with swinging
pendulums. To make clocks that keep accurate time, the engineers must
determine the mass moment of inertia of the pendulum.
What is known:
- The pendulum pivots about the top at O.
- The pendulum consists of a slender rod with a disk attached to the end.
- The rod has a length Lr = 1.2 ft, a mass mr = 0.5 slugs, and its cross section is circular with a radius rr = 0.05 ft.
- The disk has a thickness td = 0.1 ft, a radius rd = 0.4 ft, and mass md = 2.67 slugs.
- The rod and disk are made from a homogeneous material with density