Cantilever Beam Used to move
The boss just reviewed your work for the electronic part assembly system, and
he does not think the tip deflection is correct (it was previously
calculated using the moment-curvature equation in the previous section and was
found to be 0.2120 mm).
Recall, a mechanical assembly system moves sensitive electronic parts from one
location to another using a cantilever beam. The beam has two sections as shown
in the diagram. The electronic parts will only be located on the extended section
of the beam. The deflection of the beam tip is critical in the assembly process.
What is known:
- A solid steel beam supports electronic parts over half of the beam.
- The parts have an average weight of 0.04 N/mm2.
- The steel stiffness, E, is 200 GPa.
- The two beam parts are rigidly connected.
- The beam is attached to the delivery mechanism and the connection can be
assumed to be fixed.